28 February 2013

Impressionable

An outspoken, yet crafty acquaintance in polytechnic once announced me to be "on no body's side" while discussing with her friend the politics of the club I was in. While I may pride myself in being a neutral party, I suspect that state of being stems from me still being rather adverse to people. I was, at that time, preoccupied with the notion that my interpersonal relationships with people will not hold up forever. I was staunchly supporting the belief that after that graduation, there would be no outings to get stuff together, or anything of that sort.

In university, I find myself drawing close to a person who has more similar values as me than other people do. It is only recently that I realised my opinions may probably have been swayed by interactions with that friend, that my position of neutrality has been compromised through the absence of my constant reminder to myself to remain neutral.

Then I realised that friend wasn't the only person swaying my judgement. People I feel closer to impress their opinions upon myself, sometimes more so than they upon themselves.